Saturday 3 December 2011

3 Week Time Out


Until Christmas I am taking a wee break from blogging. Not because I want to but because I seriously am not going to have the time. I hit the wards next week full time. I also have exams and course work due in over those three weeks. As my shifts are all 12 hours my time is going to be spent working, studying and sleeping.

I will be back though and I will still be reading. Just not quite as much. The plan was originally to pick up one of those huge monster-sized books I have sitting there but I have decided against it. Going to be carrying enough about with me. So instead, up until Christmas, this is going to be classics month. Not sure how many I will manage to read but I have a few sitting there that I am dying to get to. Since the copy I have has such a festive cover I am starting with Doctor Zhivago.

As I said I will be back around Christmas, hopefully with some reviews and I will get round all your blogs then too. Have fun everyone and hope the festive season isn't stressing anyone out too much.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with all the exams and such.

    Also, I saw that picture and instantly thought the caption was going to be "so long and thanks for all the fish." Damn you, Adams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in your exams. all the very best! See you next year for a great reading year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. re: book review request by award-winning author

    Dear Book World In My Head:

    I'm an award-winning author with a new YA book out this fall. Ugly To Start With is a series of thirteen interrelated stories about childhood being published by West Virginia University Press.

    Can I interest you in reviewing it?

    If you write me back at johnmcummings@aol.com, I can email you a PDF of my book. If you require a bound copy, please ask, and I will forward your reply to my publisher. Or you can write directly to Abby Freeland at:

    Abby.Freeland@mail.wvu.edu

    My publisher, I should add, can also offer your readers a free excerpt of my book through a link from your blog to my publisher's website:
    http://wvupressonline.com/cummings_ugly_to_start_with_9781935978084

    Here’s what Jacob Appel, celebrated author of
    Dyads and The Vermin Episode, says about my new collection: "In Ugly to Start With, set in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia, Cummings tackles the challenges of boyhood adventure and family conflict in a taut, crystalline style that captures the triumphs and tribulations of small-town life. He has a gift for transcending the particular experiences to his characters to capture the universal truths of human affection and suffering--emotional truths that the members of his audience will recognize from their own experiences of childhood and adolescence.”

    My short stories have appeared in more than seventy-five literary journals, including North American Review, The Kenyon Review, Alaska Quarterly Review, and The Chattahoochee Review. Twice I have been nominated for The Pushcart Prize. My short story "The Scratchboard Project" received an honorable mention in The Best American Short Stories 2007.

    I am also the author of the nationally acclaimed coming-of-age novel The Night I Freed John Brown (Philomel Books, Penguin Group, 2009), winner of The Paterson Prize for Books for Young Readers (Grades 7-12) and one of ten books recommended by USA TODAY.

    For more information about me, please visit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Michael_Cummings

    Thank you very much, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

    Kindly,

    John Michael Cummings

    ReplyDelete
  4. FBT, I thought of that too when I first saw it. Amused me.

    Thanks to the both of you for the good wishes. Just glad it's over for now and I can get back to some kind of normality.

    John, Thank you for your kind offer. Your book sounds interesting. However, I don't think this blog is the best stage for your book. I'm not much of a YA reader any more and I don't think many of my readers read much YA either. Thank you anyway and good luck.

    ReplyDelete