Sunday 13 January 2013

Happy New Year (or better late than never)!


I have had so many New Year posts half written out and then scrapped. I was even going to take part in a hosted post. However, it would seem I have been lazy in my posting the last few weeks and not quite satisfied with what I had written. I am back at uni tomorrow and so have decided just to go ahead and post something before my blog dies away.

So 2011 I read 132 books and 2012 I read a measley 99. Well, not really measley since it was a lot more than I expected. My initial challenge for myself was 60 books and when it looked like it wasn't challenging enough I upped it to 80. That's this years challenge too. It sounds as though this term is going to be busier than ever. This of course is followed by a summer of placement before I move into my final year. Basically I will be lucky if I read 80.

Enough of that though. Here are some of my favourite books from last year;














I've picked just one from each month although that was difficult. There were some months I read very little and then others where there were too many good ones to choose from. These I think represent a rounded selection.

The book I disliked the most isn't actually that difficult to choose. It is of course Fifty Shades of Grey. Bad writing and very little story. What there was of it was extremely dull. Mind you I had a couple of unfinished books last year too. One of which was Posession by A. S. Byatt. Far superior in it's writing but bogged down in prose when I just wanted it to get on with the story.

2011 I failed at the only challenge I signed up for. 2012 was a big success as I managed all four (granted one of those just lasted the one month). I was quite proud of myself of that since I thought I was going to fail the last two in December.

The year ahead I am just planning on working on my tbr pile. I have got it under 20 but they are mostly rather chunky books. So the only challenge for me this year is to finish those. I think I can manage that. I will still read classics but not sure if I will read them on a monthly basis. I am hoping to discover more authors and read more of my favourites through not signing up for set challenges.

Hope everyone had as good a year as I did and hope everyone has an even better 2013.

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I am hoping to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep this year and then finally watch the movie based on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! I never really liked the movie but maybe I should go back and give it another visit. Was years ago I watched it. The book is amazing. Goes places the movie can't.

      Delete
  2. Here's to a good and varied year of reading for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read Much Ado About Nothing, though I love the movie with Michael Keaton and Denzel Washington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie. I tend to avoid movie adaptation of classics. I very rarely like them. Occasionally I will say I will try one after recommendations but I never quite get round to it.

      Delete