Sunday 1 July 2012

June Round Up/ Month Ahead

A very slow month for me reading wise although June itself seems to have passed far too quickly. Where did all those weeks go? Anyway, I didn't get much read so here is my list.

1. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Muriel Spark
2. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - John LeCarre
3. Flowers For Algernon - Daniel Keyes
4. Fifty Shades of Grey - E. L. James
5. Travels With Charlie - John Steinbeck
6. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

The easiest one to list is my least favourite. Fifty Shades of Grey is one of the worst books I have ever read. I don't understand why everyone loves it. It's just so badly written. I have reviewed it so I won't go on about it. It is hard to pick just one favourite though so I am not going to try. All I will say that it is between Steinbeck, Keyes and Spark. I still haven't caught up with my reviews but I am only two behind. Whilst I am still on placement I have finished essays and exams so I should have time to do that.

Challenge Overview


 Once again I loved the book I picked out for the classics challenge. I finally got round to reading Scottish classic, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark. It was a wonderful read and I got a real sense of Edinburgh as well as the decade it was set in. Alas, I once again didn't take part in the prompt. I am allowed to miss three though and so far that's two. Fingers crossed I manage the next one. For July's choice I am now reading The Leopard by Guiseppe Di Lempedusa. Another recommendation from my classic loving friend. Enjoying it so far and it makes a nice change reading a translated classic.
 I am loosing will power on this challenge even though I don't have far to go. I have just read The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and I'm sorry but I just don't like it. Will review it soon but I did try with it. I have the Phantom of the Opera coming up too and I have to confess it's another re-read and another I didn't enjoy the first time. If I leave it to last though I know I will definitely not finish the challenge.
 June's category was crime and for that I picked out a spy novel. I read Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John LeCarre which I quite enjoyed. Was surprised by that although it did lose me a few times. Wouldn't say no to trying some more by LeCarre. Next category is horror and I am cheating with this one because my mind has drawn a blank for new authors. I have seen Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs as horror in only one place. It's a vague link but I am going to go with it.

I went with the group choice this time and read Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Glad I did because it was a fantastic read. I think even non sci fi fans would enjoy it. For July I am going to brush the dust off a book I've had sitting there a while. Going to read Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds. I do like him so I am looking forward to it.






I also have London by Edward Rutherford on the go. It's over 1300 pages so it's one I have been reading at home. I am loving it though. No other plans as to what I am going to read next. Has everyone else had a good reading month?

No comments:

Post a Comment