Monday 25 July 2011

The Burning Wire - Jeffery Deaver

An unhappy man is using electricity to kill. He know exactly how to use it with horrific results. It's up to Lincoln and Sachs to find this man before more innocent people are killed. Meanwhile the Watchmaker is on the move and Lincoln is trying to help the Mexican police capture him. Lincoln is determined that this time he won't get away.

This is the ninth Lincoln Rhyme book and the latest which means I have caught up. At this point though I am definitely getting bored of the Lincoln Rhyme character. I find that a lot of his issues these day come into the story for no real reason and I'm finding it a little boring. Mainly because it's the same issue in every book. This time though Sach's desperate need to have children is left alone which made for a nice change. It's the repetitiveness of these issues that gets to me really. Finally though there may be light at the end of the tunnel for some of them (you'll have to read for yourself to find out what). I think that and the fact that I am growing to like the character Kathryn Dance more meant that I wasn't that excited about reading this book (she also makes an appearance of sorts in this book).

The story itself I felt wasn't quite up to the usual standard. Maybe Deaver himself has moved away from this character (a Kathryn Dance title has been announced for 2013 but none for Rhyme). It could have been interesting and certainly the premise of using electricity could have been a good one. It just seemed to lack something. I was extremely disappointed with the way things ended with the Watchmaker. I was hoping for a really good book where Rhyme and Sachs try to track him down. Unfortunately that just didn't happen.

I still liked it, just not as much as the others. I would still read another Rhyme book in the hopes that it would pick up again but I seriously think Deaver has got everything he can out of this one character.

No comments:

Post a Comment