Tuesday 26 July 2011

World Book Night

I decided not to take part in the top ten Tuesday after all this week. I was having difficulty coming up with ten books I hadn't listed before. I was feeling a little repetitive and for that I wasn't getting as much enjoyment out of it. If you read the blog Dead End Follies you will know how wonderful it is (one of my favourite book blogs). Ben is taking a break and is concentrating on his read instead. After all the whole point of blogs like mine is the books we read. I am not sure if I will take a break from it altogether but I am not going to take part as often as I have done. Instead I think I will try to find some other topics to write about rather than relying on these prompts. I used to write my own at the start of my blog and maybe I should go back to that.

That being said I was reading another entry on another favourite blog of mine 2606 Books and Couting. The author of this blog usually takes part on TTT too but also opted out this week. Instead he mentioned world book night. Last years book night was a success but also was filled with complaints and controversy. I thought it was a good idea myself. My only real complaint was that the public had no say in this list of books. This year we do. We get to pick out top ten favourite. This will create a list of the countries top 100 and the judges will pick 25 from that. Everyone has until the end of August to pick out their top ten favourite books.

So having said that I am still doing a top ten list. This is a list of books I would want to see given out to people. If you head over to see Falaise you will see his top ten choice and the current top ten leaders as well as some interesting facts.

My top ten are;

1. The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
2. Jpod by Douglas Coupland
3. A Prayer For Ownen Meaney by John Irving
4. Bleak House by Charles Dickens (my token classic)
5. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (my token sci fi)
6. Magician by Raymond E. Feist (my token fantasy)
7. The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (my token crime)
8. The Stand by Stephen King (my token horror)
9. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (my token kids book)
10. The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell (my token non fiction).

I am not sure this will stay my top ten but I wanted a fairly rounded representation of some of the books I like. What would you choose?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting list, Karen. I recently bought a lovely Folio Society edition of The Secret Garden for mini-Falaise to have when she's old enough for it. Magician is one of my favourites and I've just finished re-reading Mysterious Affair at Styles!

    ReplyDelete