Saturday 11 February 2012

Dracula - Bram Stoker


Jonathan Harker has been sent to Transylvania to help Count Dracula relocate to Britain. He makes his way there after ignoring warnings from the locals only to come across untold horrors. Barely he manages to escape although his experiences take a tole on his health. Meanwhile his fiance Mina Murray is in Whitby with her good friend Lucy. Lucy has just accepted one of three proposals. Unfortunately the strain has led to the return of her sleepwalking. A danger in itself but more so after a ghost ship crashes into the shores of Whitby. Slowly her life begins to ebb away and it's up to the men who love her and the great Van Helsing to try and save her.

This is the second time I have read this book. I was a young teen the first time and loved it then just as much as I loved it now. It was one listed under The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen challenge. Reading it again was far from being a chore. After my disappointing break from reading classics sinking into this book felt like coming home. I love the style of it. I always have liked that writing style. Written as a series of letters and journal entries in its entirety. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I love it. It makes the first person less tedious I think.

It has been a long time since I read it before but I think I remembered most of it as I was reading. One of those books I guess that has never left me. I loved each of the characters, especially Van Helsing. Even his odd speech which is shown throughout didn't bother me as it normally would. It was an endearing part of him. Almost like he was the Yoda of the group (at least that's who jumped into my head at times but I am sure that Stoker didn't have him in mind since it was well after his time).

It was more than a little sexist I have to say. That's one thing I don't remember noticing back when I read it the first time. Or maybe I did and just ignored it. Mina Harker was portrayed as everything a lady should be, sweet, honest, pure and brave. As was Miss Lucy at the start. I had to laugh when the men decided that Mina should have no part in their talks to protect her from nightmares. It's a product of it's time though and despite the sexism it still had a very strong female character in the shape of Mina.

As for Dracula himself, I loved his character too. Ruthless, evil and cold. All the characteristics every good vampire should have. Was a shame though that at one point he was described as a child. It really took away some of his scariness. The first half of the book was scarier than I expected. I can't remember thinking it so the first time round. However, the descriptions of Dracula and then those scenes on the boat gave me the creeps. If you are ever going on a long boat journey be sure to check that there are no large boxes filled with earth lying around!

It had a great ending too. The ravings of the lunatic (yep, it was very un-PC too), Renfield, kept it interesting until the great chase at the end. He was an interesting, if somewhat disgusting, character too. As I said though the ending was great. Very exciting and I especially enjoyed it since that was the one thing about the book I couldn't remember. A fantastic horror tale with a real vampire!

This was read as part of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Challenge hosted by Hanna of Booking In Heels. If you want to read what others have thought of these books you can do so here. As for comparing the character in the graphic novel (or film since I haven't read it) that Mina seemed harder. Far from the sweet person she is meant to be in Dracula. The only similarity they really have is their strength. Mind you the League Mina is a vampire which would account for these changes.

Again this is one of those beautiful Penguin Clothbound editions. I loved the black but it did start to rub off onto my hands.

10 comments:

  1. This is definitely one of those novels I loved as a teenager than held up when I reread it as an adult. I remember enjoying it even more, although like you I was mildly bemused by how the women were "protected" from the dangers of knowing what was really going on. Not unlike Eve's ignorance in Milton's Paradise Lost. But it's too early for me to start blabbering about such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the good thing about classics. I have yet to re-read one that wasn't as good as the first time I read it. So many others have disappointed me years later but never these.

      Delete
  2. I really, really have to read this book! I don't know why I haven't already done so, considering that I have a soft spot for vampires.... or, actually I do. When I was a little girl my older sister read a simplified version of it, and although I only looked at the pictures I was terribly afraid. But now that I'm a big girl I think it's time to give this book another try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I can understand your reasons for putting it off. I would too probably. I recommend reading it during the day when there are people around in that case. ;)

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite books of all time. You are giving me the idea that I need to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one. I loved it just as much the second time despite the fact that the first reading was years ago.

      Delete
  4. Is that the edition you have? It's beautiful :) I have some of the other books in that edition, but I might have to add that one to my wishlist!

    Nice review though. I've never heard Van Helsing described as Yoda, but I like it! :)

    I haven't read this for the challenge yet, but I will. I remember the sexism from the first time I read it, but it didn't bother me. More of a bemused eyebrow raise, I think!

    Sorry to be a pain, but it's hosted by Hanna from Booking in Heels, not Ellie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I couldn't resist when I noticed (to my horror) that I didn't have a copy of it already. I must have got my first one from the library. It's the only explanation because I am sure I wouldn't have given it away. The only problem with it is that the black design started to flake away in my hands no matter how many times I washed them.

      Yeah, bemused eyebrow is the best way to go. It's just a product of its time so it's easy to ignore or laugh over.

      I am so so so so so sorry. I have since fixed it. My only excuse is that there are two Ellie's hosting challenges that I am taking part in, and an Allie (who I am sure I called Ellie too). I don't know why I would get your name mixed though as my niece is Hanna (with an h at the end mind you).

      Delete
    2. I think I have some different books in that edition (if that makes any sense) and I've never really noticed the design peeling off. That said, I don't like to read them too often - they're so nice-looking I'm scared of damaging them!

      Hey, don't worry about it! It's 100% not a problem. I wasn't trying to be snide or offended or whatever. There do seem to be a lot of book-blogger Ellies about :)

      Delete
    3. I have too and it's the first time it happened. Probably because it's a large book so I was holding it a lot. Or maybe I just got a badly printed one. It wouldn't stop me from buying them :)

      Lol, I honestly didn't think you were being snide or anything. Was glad you told me as I might not have noticed otherwise. ;)

      Delete