Monday 6 February 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


This is a book meme by Sheila of Book Journey. It's a fun way for everyone to share their reading week.

I honestly can't believe it is February already. Doesn't seem so long ago since we were all celebrating Christmas. It's started out a good month though. I finished a challenge and I am still keeping up with the others. Had a good week reading wise too and there were a few posts other than book reviews.

This week I read;

Shakespeare by Bill Bryson. The last book I read for the Shakespeare Month Challenge. I loved this book. Quite a good one for people like me who had little knowledge of the Bard himself.


The Bell by Iris Murdoch. I read this for the classics challenge and have already completed this months prompt. Had been looking forward to this as a friend recommended it and she has never steered me wrong yet. A fantastic read with multi-faceted characters.


Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. I read this as part of the sci fi challenge. A fantastic sci fi classic. Just sorry it took me so long to get round to read it.


The Woods by Harlan Coben. To be honest I am mixed about this one. So much so that I have been wondering whether or not to change it's rating on Goodreads from a 3 to a 2. Hopefully I will make up my mind and review it later today.

Just now I am reading;


Dracula by Bram Stoker. This is part of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen challenge. This is a re-read for me so I already know I love it. Have read the first part where Jonathan Harker meets the creepy Dracula.

Next I plan to read;

To be honest I am completely undecided. I feel I should take a break from classics and try to get through some of the books that have been lying there longer. I tried to do that with The Woods though and it didn't go well. So do I read the other two Kathy Reich's that I have sitting there? Or do I read one of the contemporary fiction I have lying around? The Book of Dave has been eyeing me up but then so has Michael Chabon and Doris Lessing. Then there is that one classic that has been sitting since August, the next Sherlock Holmes. I guess for once I will wait to see what I feel like when I finish Dracula.

17 comments:

  1. I loved Dracula too :) Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I so want to read The Bell! Hope you enjoy all of your reads.

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST - and if you’re interested, here’s
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do Androids, was a great book! I really enjoyed it! I hope you have a great week!

    http://mustreadfaster.blogspot.com/2012/02/what-are-you-reading-monday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic. I wonder how the rest of the sci fi challenge can possibly compare.

      Delete
  4. I have had Bryson's Shakespeare for awhile. My grandmother bought it for me for Christmas one year, and I'm ashamed to say I haven't read it. I have a master's degree in Renaissance Lit, for goodness sake! Oh well, one day I'll get to it ;)

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it makes you feel any better I have books that have been sitting much longer than that. I do recommend it though and it is a quick read.

      Delete
  5. Maybe close your eyes and pick at random!

    Wishing you a great reading week

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering if Dracula was a winner. I might read it later this year for the first time. It sounds like you could use a fast, easy light read in the midst of all those great (or not-so-much) books. I hate giving low review ratings, especially between a 2 & 3. Ouch!! Gotta be done, tho!! My What?: http://leeswammes.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/announcement-literary-giveaway-blog-hop-february-18-22/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. The writing style isn't everyone's cup of tea though. Some people hate the diary/letter format. It's one of the many reasons why I like it so much though.

      I know what you mean. I am trying to not be biased is the problem. I have met the author and he wasn't particularly nice, actually upset my friend but trying hard not to let that influence my feelings on the book. That's mainly why I am reluctant to drop it down to a two.

      Think you are right. I have a couple of YA books that survived the cull. Maybe it's time I blew the dust off them.

      Delete
  7. Gotta love Dracula! Such a comfort read for any day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very true. I couldn't sleep last night so picked it back up again. Love it.

      Delete
  8. I was on a Harlan Coben kick for a while, but then they all started to feel the same. Hopefully this week's reads will be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't hate it mind you. It is already, loving Dracula.

      Delete
  9. Oooh read Book of Dave! I LOVED it. It's really hard to get your head around at first but after a while it all starts to make sense and it's a great story. I've got Will Self's Dorian on my TBR pile and am looking forward to giving that a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already started another one. Decided to go with an oldie on my tbr pile (probably one of the oldest). I'll read Book Of Dave after that though.

      Delete