Saturday 4 June 2011

Back to School! In Need of Book Recommendations.

Recent circumstances have meant that I have had to have a change in career. It took me a while to work out what I wanted to do but I finally came to a decision about 6 months ago and have been working towards it. Today I found out I have been accepted into an access to nursing course. Completely different to my time in the book industry but I have to say I am looking forward to it.

Whilst in the local supermarket today I came across two nursing memoir books (set during the 50's so not really relevant) and had to pick them up. I confess I picked up "Bedpans and Bobby Socks" by Barbara Fox and Gwenda Gofton mainly because theses two nurses travelled across America and that appealed to me. The other, "Yes Sister, No Sister" by Jennifer Craig, is about student nurses during the 50's. I'm not sure how good they will be. I tend to avoid the memoirs to be honest but I am looking forward to them.

So here is my request. Does anyone else have any recommendations of books about nurses? I don't mind a mix of fiction and non fiction. I am not really a romance person so would prefer no romance books. I don't mind it in a book so long as it's not the overall theme. Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. The only nursing series I know of is Cherry Ames which, of course, is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of those, thanks Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just finishing my Nursing course and getting ready to qualify so i am sure you will absolutely love the course - are you planning to go on after the Access to the degree?

    As for the memoir - some of my classmates have passed both books round with a lot of love but i have managed to avoid them so far as the last thing i want to read about after studying about nursing for 3 years is a book about nursing and being a student!!!

    I hope you enjoy the books and look forward to your reviews as they might even change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Yes, I plan on continuing on to nursing hopefully. It's getting tougher in terms of nursing jobs just now but I still really want to do it.

    Hee hee, I am sure if I was at the stage you are at just now the last thing I would want to read is books about nursing. Good luck with finishing up.

    ReplyDelete