Saturday 4 June 2011

Sister - Rosamund Lupton

Despite the miles and the age gap Bea and her sister Tess are close. When Bea's mother calls to tell her Tess is missing Bea drops everything in New York and rushes back to London. Whilst there she discovers that there were some surprising things about her sister. She doesn't like the accusation that maybe they weren't as close as they thought. Determined to prove everyone wrong and to find out what happened to her sister Bea begins to investigate herself. Whilst her own life falls down around her Bea ignores everyones advice and searches out the truth.

There have been a number of books I have read this year that flashes back and forth between the present and the past in order to tell the story. When I picked up this book my first thought was 'not again' but it turned out it was integral to the story and once again it worked. In this instance the time difference was not long at all.

This initial reaction to the story method did put me off at first (that's not to say I didn't enjoy it in the other books it just seems to be a fad just now) but it wasn't long before I was sucked into the story. I have a sister myself and we are very close. So I felt Bea's outrage and frustration that other believed that they weren't that close after all. I did think that this was going to be one of your generic crime stories. I couldn't have been more wrong. I wasn't expecting the reason behind the crime at all.

In the end I did guess who was behind it all but there was an extra twist at the end which came as a complete surprise to me. It certainly was a great end to the book. I read this for my book group. It's probably not one I would have picked up myself had it not been chosen (at the time I was hoping The Help would be picked). I'm glad they did chose it as I would have missed out on a good read.

2 comments:

  1. This one sounds really interesting. Like you, I have a sister who I'm very close with, so I think I would connect with Bea. I'm also glad the flashback format worked. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation. This is my review. http://bibliojunkie.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/sister-by-rosamund-lupton/

    ReplyDelete