Monday 20 June 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading!

This is a book meme by Sheila over at Book Journey.


This week I had quite a good one book wise (not so much blogging wise). I read;

Hard Times by Charles Dickens. I love Dickens and so was very disappointed by how much I disliked this one.

Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich. A big improvement on number 15. Looks like 17 is going to continue the story for a change.

Exit Ghost by Philip Roth. A sad story and it didn't bother me that I was reading out of sequence.

Bedpans and Bobby Socks by Barbara Fox and Gwenda Gofton. A fun read but more of a travel writing book than nursing memoir.

Just now I am reading;
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. This is part of a readalong and I am very much enjoying it.

This week I plan to read;
The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly. This is for my book group.

The end of this week I will also be announcing the book I am giving away for the blog hop Literary Giveaway. Check back on Saturday if you want to sign up for a classic. The book itself is a lovely edition and new.

10 comments:

  1. I need to read a Dickens book sometime! I keep meaning to read one, but never get to it. And, I've never read the Stephanie Plum series either, gulp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so ready for #17! I put up such a fight about reading this series but I really love the snarkiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't start with Hard Times, that's my main recommendation. Great Expectations and Bleak House are two of my favourites, I recommend them.

    The Stephanie Plum books are worth reading for Grandma Mazure alone. The love triangle gets a little bit boring after a while. They are good fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep, the snarkiness is great. I think the series pulled itself up a little with book 16. I was ready for giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore Dickens. Your books for this week look very intriguing. Happy reading. My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/06/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-44.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only Dickens I've read was Great Expectations, and I liked it, but I didn't love it...so Hard Times probably isn't for me either, it sounds like an incredibly depressing story. I've been wanting to read A Tale of Two Cities, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. :)

    I hope you have an awesome week! Happy Reading! :D
    Ambur
    My "It's Monday, What Are You Reading?" Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in Tesco today I saw a big box full of The Poison Tree, I will look forward to your review. I do find I either blog lots or read lots, I need to find the right balance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Stephanie Plum books, but I'm really behind. I still have 14 and 15 to read.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ambur, Great Expectations is classed as one if his more serious novels whereas Hard Times is supposed to be funny. I missed the humour because I struggled with it. Great Expectations is one of my favourites though.

    Ellie, it's a Richard and Judy title which might be why Tesco had lots of it. I'm looking forward to reading it (despite R&J being the most irritating two people to grace television).

    Yvonne, 14 and 15 are okay but it does get better in 16.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get bogged down in Dickens' wordiness. I can read classics, but the only Dickens book I've read by choice is A Christmas Carol. I've barely started the Stephanie Plum series, but they are a lot of fun! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete