Thursday 12 January 2012

Booking Through Thursday - Interview

A weekly meme about books and reading. You can find it here.


1. What’s your favorite time of day to read?

I don't really have a favourite time of day. I can read at any time. I mostly read at night though before I go to sleep. It's usually quite then and it helps me sleep.

2. Do you read during breakfast? (Assuming you eat breakfast.)

No, on the rare occasions I have breakfast I usually watch the news.

3. What’s your favorite breakfast food? (Noting that breakfast foods can be eaten any time of day.)

I'm quite boring and love toast.

4. How many hours a day would you say you read?

It really depends on how busy I am. I would always try to read an hour a day but usually I can fit in a little more. Last week I was able to devote whole days to it.

5. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?

I probably read about the same as what I did ten years ago. I think I am more excited about reading now though. I have more people to share it with. More of my friends now read and of course I am now aware of the book blogger community. I have also since been exposed to a wider range of authors and genres and opened my mind to trying most things.

6. Do you consider yourself a speed reader?

I don't. I have a friend that I worked with for a while last year and she was a big reader like myself but I read maybe two her three books to her on. She always saw me as a fast reader and yet I have friends who read far more books than in a week than I ever could. For me it always comes down to how much time I have and what I am reading.

7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

To be able to walk through things as I am the clumsiest person in the world.

8. Do you carry a book with you everywhere you go?

Not always but most of the time I do. I tend to just carry one around with me in my bag.

9. What KIND of book?

Usually whatever I am reading at the time. If I am reading a hardback though I tend to leave that at home and pick up a paperback to carry around with me. The paperback will always be completely different to the hardback. It keeps them separate in my mind.

10. How old were you when you got your first library card?

I don't remember. My parents started us out as soon as we were old enough to get one so I honestly don't remember a time of not having a library card.

11. What’s the oldest book you have in your collection? (Oldest physical copy? Longest in the collection? Oldest copyright?)

I'm not actually sure. My mum gave all my childhood books away years ago. She doesn't believe in holding on to anything (hates clutter of any kind). I think probably The Diary of Anne Frank. It originally belonged to my dad and when I was 10 it made it's way into my books. Other than that it will be books I used for school such as To Kill A Mockingbird.

12. Do you read in bed?

I do. I always try to read a little before I go to sleep.
13. Do you write in your books?

No, never. To me that's a book crime. I would never write in my text books either. That's what post its were invented for. If I want to keep a not of something I use a post it or my note book and I NEVER turn the corners of the page down to keep my place. Friends joke that they can never tell if I have read a book or not because I keep them so well. Not all of them though. With larger books you can't always help but break the spine. Plus the longer it takes me to read a book the more damage it takes when carried around in my bag.

14. If you had one piece of advice to a new reader, what would it be?

Just enjoy it. Don't be afraid to try new things. Don't be afraid to give up on something that isn't for you. Life is too short. Don't worry about what other people think of what you read or should be reading.

6 comments:

  1. Good advice for new readers.

    As for marking in books: I used to dog ear my pages...I cringe now when I think of it! I use bookmarks these days. Even on the Kindle.

    Here's MY BTT POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liked reading your answers, good reading advice.

      http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday_12.html

      Delete
  2. Interesting answers! Walking through things would be useful for me, too :) Here is my BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun superpower answer :) And good advice to new readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toast is the best breakfast ever (and my current book has a toast advert in the back).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone.

    Ellie, toast is the best. Know what you are reading without going over to your blog to look, lol. Hope you are enjoying.

    ReplyDelete