Sunday 29 January 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


This is a fun book meme by Sheila over at Book Journey. A great way to share your reading week.

As predicted things have slowed down reading wise. Actually this week was busier for me than I expected and it took me a week to read a book that would normally only take me a day or two. Just meant I had longer to enjoy it of course. Before I share I just want to remind everyone that I am giving away a copy of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. One of my favourite books that I recently discovered I had two of. All you have to do is leave a comment on the original post and you have until tomorrow night to sign up.

This week I have read;


The White Road by John Connolly. I finished it just last night so have still to review it. Took me a week but I very much enjoyed it. This is the fourth book in his Charlie Parker series.


As You Like It by William Shakespeare. I read this for the Shakespeare month challenge and this is the last play I will be reading for it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I seem to love his comedies.

Just now I am reading;


Shakespeare by Bill Bryson. I am reading this for two challenges; the Shakespeare month challenge and the Mixing it Up challenge for the Biography section. Enjoying it so.

Next I plan to read;

The Bell by Iris Murdoch. I am reading this for the Classics Challenge. I am very excited about reading this one. My friend who recommends only classics to me (as that's what she mainly reads) has nagged and nagged at me to read a Murdoch. I do like the sound of them so looking forward to picking this up.

I'm not going to pick another book for this week as there is always a chance that my workload will increase again. My course likes to surprise us with extra work sometimes.

How has your reading week been? Were there any favourites in there?

13 comments:

  1. I need to pick a classic for my eclectic challenge, and I haven't yet read Iris Murdoch's The Bell. Looks tempting!

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 50 pages and it's good so far. Already aware of some sort of mystery.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any Murdoch books yet either - like Laurel Snow said in the comments, I might have to try this one for the ecclectic challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iris Murdoch has been on my TBR list for a while now. this looks a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. I am slowly but surely working my way through my friends list of recommendations.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love what you are reading. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another gorgeous Vintage cover! I really liked the Shakespeare book, mostly for the realisation that we don't know much about him at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, all the vintage covers for her books are lovely. If I love this one I will have to collect the others.

      I liked it for that reason too. Makes you wonder how people can get away with their theories. The code breaker one was hilarious.

      Delete
  6. Nice mix of books. I finished a nice mix of things. Please come see what I'm reading now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Had a look at your list and there was certainly a range of books.

      Delete
  7. Hi: I attempted Walk in the Woods by Bryson years ago - he just wasn't funny (to me) - but I wager he's got different styles...

    Good on you doing the Shakespeare challenge - I would have liked to do it, but came in a bit late, next time.

    I've got a couple Murdoch's lined up, waiting for a read - I look forward to them and learning more about her (I loved the film Iris, but obviously that was just the end of her life). Happy reading, Ruby

    http://yearofreadingmybooks.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      That's a shame that Bryson didn't appeal to you. I have heard that it's his best one too. Have only read his autobiography myself and I loved it.

      It's a shame you couldn't join in the Shakespeare. I am hoping that someone will start up another later in the year. I do plan to read more of his plays but I had as much fun reading what others thought as I did reading them on my own.

      Delete